HOW TO TRAIN A DOG WHO DOESN’T LIKE HIS FOOD/TREATS



I like to use food to train dogs whenever we can for many reasons. First, food is what’s known as a primary reinforcer. That’s a fancy way of saying “the dog needs it to survive.” Think about it, dogs (or us, for that matter) can’t live without food. So it’s pretty important to a dog. Second, food is usually a really nice reward for a dog. It tastes good. It smells good. They like it and will work hard to earn another tasty tidbit.


However, some dogs are picky, like my dog. He refuses chicken. Won’t take a hot dog. Won’t even consider a dog treat. Which limits my options for using food as a reinforcer. I mean, if he doesn’t like it, it’s not a reinforcer. Period.



I’ve found that he does like cheese. It’s relatively cheap when bought in the econo-saver blocks and it lasts over a week in the refrigerator. It’s easy for me to handle — not too sticky or goopy and easy to deliver one small piece at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO BELL TRAIN YOUR DOG TO GO OUTSIDE

THE PROS AND CONS OF INVISIBLE FENCES FOR DOGS